Diekirch, garrison town

In the spring of 1848, the barracks were completed, in which then the soldiers of the 2nd “Jägerbataillons” of the Luxembourg contingent moved.

After their transfer to the capital in 1867, the building was made available to the students of the Diekirch “Progymnasium”, which has been bearing the name "Lycée classique" since 1945.

In 1955, the Grand Ducal Army, created after the Second World War, moved to the newly built barracks on “Herrenberg”, now named after Grand Duke Jean.

It was one of the first barracks in Europe where the soldiers were housed in pavilions that evacuated faster than conventional buildings in an emergency.