The Palace of Justice in Diekirch

In June 1850, the foundation stone was laid for the courthouse on Wilhelmsplatz, which was completed in late 1852.

The town of Diekirch has been the seat of the district court since 18 March 1800. It is responsible for the cantons Clerf, Diekirch, Echternach, Redingen, Vianden and Wiltz.

The building was completely restored in 2017 and 2018.

The Magistrate's Court

In the 15th century, this so-called "Billhouse" or "balancing house" was built on the foundations of a medieval building and served as a warehouse of grain and wine, the so-called tithing, which was due to the ruler.

The term "balance" is an allusion to the scalebalance (fr. "balance"), which was set up here during the "ancien regime".

The house was renovated in 1795 and since 1800 it houses the magistrate’s court. It also served as a town hall until the end of the 19th century. It was enlarged in 1980 and rebuilt in 2000 for the last time.